Munster Legacy Plant Demolition
Adelaide Brighton Limited, Cockburn Cement Limited
Top-down demolition and removal of slurry bottles and ancillary plant structures
Contract of the Year under US$1 million – World Demolition Awards 2022
SCOPE OF WORKS
- Demolition of Kiln Stack 2 (62m in height)
- Demolition of Kiln Stack 3 (64m in height)
- Demolition of Kiln Stack 4 (84m in height)
- Demolition of Slurry Bottles and associated infrastructure
- Demolition of other redundant plant infrastructure onsite
- Deteriorated Plant
- Extensive Working at Heights
- Community Engagement
- Neighbouring residents
- Live Train Line
- Live Plant Operations
- Running from August to December 2021, over 400T of steel was processed and recycled, and over 4,000T of rubble was reused onsite.
- A camera system using a low latency 5.8GHZ link provided real time video connection to weatherproof cameras mounted on the pulveriser.
- The purpose-built pulveriser attachment was suspended by a 275T crawler crane had had 155T of cutting force and required minimum 5,075 PSI of operating pressure.
- A specialised Komatsu PC490 demolition excavator provided power to the pulveriser through 100+m of hydraulic lines, allowing operators to remain outside the line of fire.
- The demolition area was adjacent to live plant, within meters of a rail corridor and residents.